Resolution #18-36: Resolution of the Vernon Township Municipal Utilities Authority Establishing a Policy for the Use of VTMUA Issued Cell Phones
Date of Adoption: May 17, 2018
BE IT RESOLVED by the commissioners of the Vernon Township Municipal Utilities Authority that a cell phone policy is hereby established governing the use of VTMUA issued cell phones as follows:
1. Purpose and Scope - The VTMUA cell phone policy offers general guidelines for using personal and company cell phones during work hours. The purpose of this policy is to help all get the most out of the advantage the cell phones offer the VTMUA while minimizing distractions, accidents, and frustrations which improper cell phone use can cause. This policy applies to all VTMUA employees and/or users of VTMUA issued cell phone.
2. Cell Phone Use Guidelines - The following are VTMUA’s basic guidelines for proper employee cell phone use during work hours. In general, cell phones should not be used when they could pose a security or safety risk or when they distract from work tasks:
- Never use a cell phone while driving.
- Never use a cell phone while operating equipment.
- Do not use cell phones for surfing the internet or gaming during work hours.
- Avoid using work cell phones for personal tasks.
- Avoid using personal cell phones for work tasks.
- Do not use cell phones during meetings.
- Do not use cell phones to record confidential information.
We realize that cell phones can be great tools for our employees. We encourage employees to use cell phones when:
- For making or receiving work calls in the appropriate place and situation to do so.
- For other work-related communication, such as text messaging or email appropriate places and situations.
- To schedule and keep track of appointments.
- To carry out work related research.
- To keep track of work tasks.
- To keep track of work contacts.
3. Disciplinary Action - Improper use of cell phones may result in disciplinary action. Continued use of cell phones at inappropriate times or in ways that distract from work may lead to having cell phone privileges revoked. Cell phone usage for illegal or dangerous activity, for purposes of harassment or in ways that violate the VTMUA’s confidentiality policy may result in employee discipline.
4. Care and Ownership - The cell phones issued by the VTMUA are property of the VTMUA. Therefore, users of VTMUA cell phones have no expectation of privacy for information contained on said phone including text messages, call logs, etc. sent or received from the VTMUA issued phone. Users of VTMUA issued cell phones have an obligation to care for the phones in a proper manner and to ensure, to the greatest extent possible, they are not damaged.